Thursday, March 10, 2011

In the palm of His hand...

Last week it was nasty critters; this week it was the storm door ripped from its frame by howling winds and the beautiful but now broken lantern next to the door.  My sadness was exacerbated by the expense of replacing everything when there are so many other things we want and need to do in the house: a new bed, remodeling the basement that serves as my home office, repairing the bay window in the living room... you get the idea.  It didn't take long for my mind to travel dark roads and throughout the day, I ruminated on how to prioritize the laundry list of activities and related expenses.

At 4:30 I left to take my daughter to her sewing class.  I turned on the radio, which was set to an Alison Krauss CD (traditional bluegrass and country).  I make a special effort to expose Maria to all kinds of music so she knows there's more out there than tweeny pop stars with a vocal range of five notes.  I was only half-listening when her clear voice and a gentle guitar lick caught my attention.  And then I heard the refrain...

I'd rather be in the palm of Your hand
Though rich or poor I may be
Faith can see right through the circumstance
Sees the forest in spite of the trees
Your grace provides for me


It's hard to drive when your eyes well up so I took a deep breath and ingested the deep comfort of these words.  And yet again, in unexpected ways, I am reminded that all is well in my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment